This month, I’ve decided to shed some light on a disturbing problem off the coast of South Florida, one that is killing (yes killing) all our dear manatees. There are many reasons why you should care about manatees– they’re playful, loving, and peaceful sea creatures. And they are nearly extinct. How is it that, you might ask, that despite the fact that manatees have no natural predators, they are rapidly going extinct? Because of the multitude of careless boating accidents that occur off the coast of South Florida.
That’s right: our reckless boaters are killing our manatees.
Thankfully there’s an app for that. It’s called the Manatee Alert App, and helps boaters and manatees co-habitate during Friday’s booze cruise traffic. So, if you live in South Florida and you have a boat– download this app! Jimmy Buffet will thank you for it. This is because Jimmy Buffet is now the world’s number one manatee fan. Cheering them on since 1981, Buffet co-founded the Save the Manatee Club with former U.S. Senator, Bob Graham, who was then governor of Florida. His manatee club is the world’s leading manatee protection organization.
And now I’ll leave you with some quick manatee facts, and a Save The Manatees PSA:
- The manatee is the elephant of the sea. Meaning their closest relatives are the trunked cuties.
- You can go to jail for killing a manatee. SO WATCH OUT.
- You can Adopt A Manatee! Aka, my new life goal: adopt all the manatees.
- They only have six vertebrae, which means that they can’t turn their neck from side to side. Therefore, if they want to look at you, they have to shift their whole body around to face you. Talk about 100% attention.
- Manatee moms guide their babies until they are old enough to swim on their own.
- They have a herbivore diet and consume up to 110 pounds of food daily!
Jimmy Buffett PSA: Save the manatees!
You can help save manatees by supporting Save The Manatee Club on Goodshop!